In today’s episode, Tara shares many of the books that she has used in teaching for different ages and types of singers. She gives you lots of practical resources and where to purchase books so you and your students have a library to choose from. Tara has taken the pain out of trying to look through tons and tons of repertoire and nailing it down to specific music books so that you can spend more time on your teaching and singing and not research!
Please go to Products I recommend to purchase some of these books from Amazon. I am an Amazon affiliate, so doing it this way also helps support this podcast!
The Very Beginning singer:
- Folksong books: Folksongs for Solo Singers, Vol 1 and 2, and one of my favs is International Folk Songs for Solo Singers. All of these are by Jay Althaus. In these books, you can find high, low and medium high so it really helps for range.
- Broadway anthologies for kids: KIDS' BROADWAY SONGBOOK by Hal Leonard publishing and the KIDS' MUSICAL THEATRE COLLECTION – VOLUME 1 or VOLUME 2 also by Hal Leonard Publishing.
- Classical songbook: 36 SOLOS FOR YOUNG SINGERS by Joan Boytim
The Teenager beginner-intermediate:
- Artsongs and Spiritual songs books: Spirituals for Solo Singers by Jay Althaus or the series entitled Classical Contest Songs by Hal Leonard publishing (Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor and Bass)
- More classical: LOVERS, LASSES & SPRING (soprano), ROSES, LAUGHTER AND LULLABIES (mezzo) , YOUNG LADIES, SHIPMATES AND JOURNEYS (Tenor and Bass) all by Joan Boytim
- Broadway books: TUNES FOR TEENS FROM MUSICALS (Young Men’s Edition) and (Young Women’s Edition) both by Hal Leonard publishing.
The Intermediate singer:
- Classical series—Joan Boytim songbooks: THE FIRST BOOK OF SOPRANO SOLOS, THE FIRST BOOK OF MEZZO-SOPRANO/ALTO SOLOS, THE FIRST BOOK OF TENOR SOLOS, THE FIRST BOOK OF BARITONE/BASS SOLOS
- Classical series—Soprano Songs, Mezzo-Soprano Songs, Tenor Songs, Baritone Songs (all by Boosey and Hawkes) but now in the NEW IMPERIAL EDITION.
- 24 ITALIAN SONGS & ARIAS OF THE 17TH & 18TH CENTURIES Schirmer’s version but you can get many versions of these.
- Broadway anthologies: SINGER'S MUSICAL THEATRE ANTHOLOGY by Hal Leonard and edited by Richard Walters.
- Jazz standards (American songbook) THE SINGER'S BOOK OF JAZZ STANDARDS - (Women’s or Men’s Editions),
Places to purchase music online:
Great book for vocal warmups:
Building Beautiful Voices by Paul Neshiem and Weston Noble
Sing at First Sight by Andy Beck, Karen Farnum Surmani, Brian Lewis
For all you teachers who want to brush up on other languages:
Diction for Singers by Joan Wall, Robert Caldwell Tracy Gavilanes, Sheila Allen
For an episode on IPA—the International Phonetic Alphabet— please check Episode 023 | Dr. Melody Rich | What is IPA?.
You can subscribe to THE ENGAGING VOICE on the platform you listen on:
Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, iHeart radio, Youtube and Apple Podcasts.
And now, it’s also on Amazon Music Audible and PlayerFM too!!
AND you can share this episode to social media or with your friends!
Give them a gift today by sharing this free podcast with them!